(You might want to see more recent editions of this course)
Can you match the colour but not the surface texture? Can you match the surface sheen but not the colour? Do you struggle with both? Do you never know what dyes to use? If you want to acquire a wider a range of inpainting techniques, this is your course. Held by knowledgeable professionals, it goes deeper into the tools, materials, techniques and tricks. The goal is to infill and in-paint the most challenging losses with confidence and success. Download the leaflet.
More information (program, application, teachers…) → HERE.
Can you match the colour but not the surface texture? Can you match the surface sheen but not the colour? Do you struggle with both? Do you never know what dyes to use? If you want to acquire a wider range of inpainting techniques, this is your course. Held by knowledgeable professionals, it goes deeper into the tools, materials, techniques and tricks. The goal is to infill and in-paint the most challenging losses with confidence and success.
DATES: 3 consecutive days, 20 hours duration. Next edition planned for June 2021.
Precisely on June 23rd takes place one of the biggest festivities in the mediterranenan Spanish coast “Sant Joan“. Fireworks and fire parties are celebrated on the beach during those days, it is one of the best moments to come!
TARGET AUDIENCE: Tailored for Paper Conservators with emphasis on those working in the private practice area or conservation studios where inpainting is very much demanded. International character of the course is encouraged.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 10 participants (maximum).
FEE: — € (funding for this course should be asked to non profit institutions, and not to the course organizer).
Infilling and Inpainting techniques: – Infilling and Inpainting.
– Paper pulp (and leafcasting).
– Powdered micro-cellulose: gap filler, sprayed films and paper sheets, tampered and drops for covering stains.
– Mould casting for textures (acrylic and cellulose based)
– Parchment infilling
– Japanese paper mendings… are they suitable for all sort of paper infills?
Suitability of powdered cellulose: – Ageing tests
Materials and tools: – Brushes: types and care
– Artists colours vs designers colours.
– Modifying paint, water and other tips and tricks.
– New products and materials.
Criteria and ethics of Inpainting – Study cases and examples. Controversial inpaintings.
Digital technology – Digital retouching.
– Use of inkjet printers for digital inpainting.
– Filling losses and fillers: powdered cellulose, paper pulp, Japanese paper.
– Modifying the appearance and texture of the surface (japanese paper).
– Casting composites for specific surfaces: use of silicone mold to reproduce leather, cloth, laid paper and other surfaces.
– Parchment infilling with japanese paper and toning to match colour and sheen.
– Paper pulp: leaf-casting/”manual”. Matching color with hand-made coloured paper pulps, commercial pulps.
– Inpainting media and toning systems: synthetic resins, watercolor/gouache, pencils/pastels, dry pigments, dyes and other colouring agents.
– Modifiers: glossing, matting, polishing agents.
– Chromatic circle.
– Discussion on tools.
1st day: Loss compensation: filling.
9:00 – 10:30 Welcome and introduction to the course (handouts, conservation lab, tools…).
Filling: Ethics and Criteria. Colour matching with micro & macro cellulose pulp.
10:30 – 10:50 Coffee break.
10:50 – 13:00 Filling: Materials and techniques. Samples preparation practice.
9:00 – 10:30 Practice on originals with prepared samples.
10:30 – 10:50 Coffee break.
10:50 – 13:00 workshop.
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch break.
14:00 – 16:00 Inpainting workshop
Although both tools and practising samples/documents will be supplied at the workshops, participants are welcome to bring their own tools, in case they want to achieve a much similar experience to their workspace.
Participants are also encouraged to bring samples and/or documents* they would like to practice with.
* The practice will be guided and supervised, but the exercises on original documents will be under the participants’ responsibility.
MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Do not forget to bring your sanitary/medical card if you are coming from an European Union country. You will receive medical assistance easily, if ever you were in need.
It is recommended to hire a private medical insurance for your journey if coming from other countries not belonging to the UE.
CANCELATION POLICIES: Your place in the course is only guaranteed when you pay the fee of the course, otherwise your place is not saved.
Once your place is confirmed, and in case you need to cancel, the fee will be refunded only in the case that there is another participant in the waiting list that matches the targeted audience and is ready to join the course. The bank charges of the refund will be on behalf of the participant that leaves his/her place free. Anyhow, 45 days before the course the fee will be refunded only 75% due to secretary duplicities and urgency in submitting a new participant. The fee for the new participant remains the same.
In case the course is cancelled, the participants will be offered other dates to do it, or they will be given back the full fee. The organisation will not refund any accommodation, travel or other expenses related to the course in any case. The course can be cancelled if there is not enough participants.
The fee will be refunded whenever a participant in the waiting list and mathcing the targeted audience is available (bank transfer costs on behalf of the participant that quits).
45 days befores the course, in case of cancelation with posibility to find a new available participant, the refund will be 75% of the full fee (bank costs not included).
No refund will be possible if no other participant on the waiting list is available.
No accommodation, travel or other expenses will be refunded to the participants in case the course is cancelled.