- Owner: Historical Archive of Lleida (Catalonia), National Archive of Catalonia, Government of Catalonia.
- Object: Limp vellum binding mansucript. Rolled sewing on parchment. The covers are a re-used manuscript (disjecta membra). “Manual notarial d’Andreu Soler” (notes by notary Andreu Soler).
- Date: 1566.
- Damages: Remarkable losses (rodents?, mould?) on both the binding and the folios. Spine distortion.
- Conservation treatment:
Textblock: Dry and wet cleaning (see video below), consolidation (leaf casting infilling, lining). Binding: Facsimile re-binding with facsimile binding. Housing of disjecta membra (scattered fragments) on conservation mounting. Digitisation fo the extracted manuscript (binding).
- Conservators:Ana Tourais, Paula Bueso, Rita Udina.
- Project lead by: Rita Udina
- Other links:
The reuse of a piece of a parchment manuscript to become ta limp vellum binding, is discussed in hte lecture Conservation of re-used bindings (part two).
The washing of the folios of the manuscript is shown in the beginning of the video for the AHEH (watch video below).
Instagram post by AHL (Historical Archive of Lleida).
Conservator Paula Bueso washes the folios of this manuscript between 0:26″ and 0:44″.
The manuscript is also sown in this lecture (4:53″ – 7:41″).
The video has subtitles in English, Spanish and Catalan. Direct links to each chapter on the timeline scroll.
- 00:00 – Conductor introduces the speaker
- 00:42 – Introduction
- 01:06 – A) What is reuse with diverse purpose (disjecta membra)
- 01:55 – B) What is reuse with diverse purpose
- 02:12 – A) Recycling with diverse purpose (disjecta membra)
- 02:28 – a1) Parchment manuscript used as a binding (Incunabula from Girona).
- 04:53 – a2) Parchment manuscript used as a binding (manuscript from Lleida).
- 07:41 – 1 vs 2. Are old repairs and re-used materials compatible with conservation requirements and to what extent their removal involves loss of readability?
- 08:40 Decision making for disjecta membra materials (A).
- 09:17 – B) reuse with same puprpose (binding)
- 09:35 – b1) Manuscript from Tàrrega with wallet binding.
- 20:14 – Decision making for recycled bindings (B).
- 21:29 – Conclusion
- 23:41 – Acknowledgement
- 24:06 – Questions